Monday, July 25, 2011

The 2011 Cascade Experience - By Pam Schuster

Cascade Classic through the eyes of the elderly brought back many memories of traveling, eating, resting and racing harder than one can imagine.  The scene was the same, however, all the names except for 2 had changed for me.  Clara Hughes and Anne Sampolonius were still out there and hadn't skipped a beat finishing on the podium in the end.  Each day was filled with excitement highs and lows.  The first day was a 2 mile prologue which paved the way for the future pain to come.  Day 2: the plan was to stay up in the front of the peloton and see where we were after that.  Katie had great ride and finish 3rd in the stage! Looking forward to her report for the details.  Day 3 was the 14 mile time trail, and you guessed it more pain and challenge.  Day 4 was another challenging road race where we all moved up in standings.  Day 5 was the downtown criterium with a zillion fans cheering for us followed by the final day when once again our limits were tested and finishing was the prize for the day.  The whole team learned and bonded with our hearts never giving in to the pain of the day.  Now that I have mentioned pain 60 times did I will mention that we all are coming home more fit and experienced than one week ago!  I must also mention that the support we recieved from our volunteer staff was amazing.  They even taught my 8 year old son Stevie how to hand me up feeds.  I guess the table has turned, time for him to start feeding me after all these years of feeding him.  He provided the staff and team with constant entertainment!  I feel very grateful to still be able to race with these young women professionals who many are less than half my age and let me know it each day!  None of it would be possible without our great sponsor support which we are very thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment