Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cantua Creek Road Race - 2-18-12 - By Holly Breck

Cantua Creek road race is flat with overpasses and a mile in half up hill finish course. Its definitely a sprinters course cause the hill finish is only about 4 - 5% and not really long enough to pop anyone off the back but definitely enough to hurt. In the women’s 1-3 race, we had to do two laps which was fifty-six miles and the weather started out pretty good, sunny with a little bit of cloud cover but by lap two the head wind was really annoying and it got a bit chilly. Unfortunately it was a small field of 12 of us so not much hiding room at all. On lap one on the way out it was dinosaur slow. I think we were going like 13mph. I was going crazy!!!! My warm-up before this was faster. So Kenda gear grinder and I threw a couple attacks and people responded to some but wouldn’t help pull or do any work. We hit the turn around and did the same thing on the way back but still again no one wanted to do anything except get pulled around on either mine or kenda gear grinders wheel. So I finally just sat forward’s the back of the pack, but still was watching incase something happened, clear until the end of lap two. About a mile away from the finish we caught one of the men’s fields that had started before us. With a mile to go I moved myself up from mid pack to about third. We hit the one k sign and then that’s when people started to get excited. Just before the two-hundred meter mark the men’s field just ahead of us had a crash on the hill so there was about four men scattered all on the hill for our finish. Still no one had made a move so I attacked. Thinking I could hold about a two-hundred and fifty meter sprint I was weaving in and out of people up the hill. Kenda gear grinder jumped as well but was able to hold it a tiny bit longer pulling first with my out of breathe body coming through for second. That was really the only hard part of the whole race but it was a fun flat course to race on for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment