Monday, April 30, 2012

Chuck Pontius - Santa Clarita - 4/29/2012 by Holly Breck


This was my first year racing Chuck Pontius. It’s a fast four corner course with a slight riser before the finish. It was a nice, hot, toasty day out, so prior to the race I made sure to hydrate with some wonderful orange pineapple Gu mix and water and had a pre made up one in my icebox for after.  So for the race it was Amber, PC, Bea and myself (Holly). Our plan was to take it easy the first twenty minutes or so and just see what would happen. Then if nothing happened, start firing riders off.  That’s exactly what we did. We watched to see if anyone was going to make moves and if someone did we would counter or cover. A few went but nothing really stuck. At about the 20 minute mark Amber launched an attack taking two La Grange, two Helen’s, one NOW and PC.  Bea and I missed the spilt and were in the chase group.  For about two or three laps we could still see them in sight. No one was doing any work to chase the chase group and I wanted to help my other teammates out in the break so I attacked my field, took a quick peak to see if anyone went with me cause I didn’t want to drag the whole field up (thanks for the reminder  PC and Bea) and saw no one with me.  I put my head down and caught the breakaway.  Once I caught the breakaway I had just enough time to recover for more attacks that they were throwing out. After a few laps they all kind of settled down a little and nothing was happening so I attacked with 7 laps to go. Not really sure what I was thinking at this point. Not a chance in the world I was going to stick it but I thought I’d try. Once again I was by myself and Amber and PC did an amazing job slowing down or covering the group behind me. I was out for 3 laps and I could here Dennis on the back side of the course “ good job, keep going”, but unfortunately every corner I’d peak and see them getting a little closer and a little closer. As soon as I got caught Amber launched an attack like I have never seen before. So aggressive that I barely caught back on and it just about popped me off the back. Everyone chased and stayed on so she and a few others kept the pace high. Now with one lap to go. PC and Amber were in really good position. They kept the pace high as it was needed and coming into the final corner they were sitting 1st and 2nd.  Sprinting there butts off I could only watch in awe as they did a prefect lead-out for each other taking 1-2 and Suzanne from Helen’s taking 3rd and me rolling in 4th. I believe that felt like one of the hardest sprints I’ve done for a while. That was one heck of a sprint ladies and hats off to PC and Amber for such an awesome job. I’m really looking forward to then next few races coming up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment