Friday, September 7, 2012

Race Report: Aspen Blue Ribbon Challenge - 8/22/2012


From the camp that I was very lucky to attend at the OTC earlier in August, I was selected to race as part of a composite team for the Aspen Community Valley Hospital in a criterium in Aspen. This crit used to be part of a larger stage race that coincided with the men’s pro-challenge, however this year it was the crit only. The promoters and race directors worked very hard to create a women’s event that was raced just before the men entered Aspen. This meant huge crowds and vendors.
I arrived in Aspen early so that I could ride alongside my composite team members Abby Mickey, Lindsay Bayer, Jenna Kowalski, and Sarah Strum in a charity ride for Komen for the Cure. This gave me plenty of days of training in beautiful Aspen (“ahh, California”), “where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano” (no, I was not mature enough to refrain from making Dumb and Dumber references the whole time I was there- I am pretty sure that I saw Lloyd Christmas on a motor bike that he obtained by trading the shaggin’ wagon “straight up”).
First, I cannot express how beautiful the drive alone was to Aspen. If you know me, you know that I detest driving because I fall asleep in cars; so obviously, the best method of travel for me was to drive by myself 13.5 hours to Aspen. Yes, this was the best method. The drive was amazing- from deserts to canyons; my eyes were wide with amazement over our beautiful country the entire drive. Next, Aspen was stunning. A small town situated at 7,900’ surrounded by mountains, Aspen offers plenty of activities and great riding for those of us who enjoy the hills and the altitude. I was fortunate to be staying with Jenna and Lindsay and we were able to go on several training rides in the area. The Komen ride for the Cure took us through amazing places in Aspen (Lindsay saw her first marmot). Did I mention that there are beaver dams in and around Aspen? My point: I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to make this trip to a beautiful place with my bike. I met wonderful people, stayed in amazing housing, and saw beautiful scenery.
The day of the crit was hectic to say the least. Jake (who had met me in Aspen the day before) and I packed up the car early that morning so that we could leave for Humboldt immediately after I raced. I did my usual spin before the race then headed over to the course to warm up. It was a huge festival! The race director and promoter had really done a wonderful job of showcasing women’s cycling through our race. The course was a four-corner course with a nice riser after turn one. As we waited on the line for the start of the race, the dark sky began to sprinkle. I was surrounded with some of the US’s finest racers- Lauren Tamayo fresh from her Olympic silver medal in team pursuit, (Coach from camp!) Katie Compton, and several other huge names in women’s cycling. I felt grateful to be there.
The race started and I managed to stay at the front for the first few laps. This is big for me, because it was a large field with fast women and I did not feel intimidated by the speed, jostling, or damp course. Katie pushed the field hard and I tried to hold on to my position. I lost a few places and found myself mid pack when I break went up the road (lead relentlessly by Katie). I used the slower pace to move my way back to the front, primarily on the corners. When I made my way back up, the break had been caught and I felt fresh. Yes, I felt fresh. So I decided, “why not attack?” I attacked just after the start/finish and went hard into turn one and up the riser. I was caught by turn two and overtaken by the mushroom on the backstretch. As I worked to recover, I made the mistake of allowing myself to slip to the back of the field where I was gapped out by another rider who dropped out immediately after falling off the back. She later apologized for gapping me out, but as I told her, if it wasn’t her, it would have been someone else and my decisions had put me in the unfortunate position at the back of the field.
I saw women falling off left and right (and center, and everywhere really). Many were simply rolling off of the course, but I decided to time trial. I turned on a steady hard pace and chased, picking up a few other stragglers along the way to hopefully catching back on. Alas, it was not to be and this would be my first crit that I did not finish. The field, lead by Katie Compton, Allison Powers, Carmen Small, Jade Wilcoxan, and Mara Abbott continued picking up speed. Several riders were dropped and pulled. My teammate for the week, Lindsay stayed near the front the whole time and raced incredibly well. The race came down to a field sprint which Optum expertly lead Wilcoxan to the top spot on the podium. Lindsay finished fifth and Katie Compton who had driven the pace the entire race finished sixth.
Whew! I learned so much in that race and I was happy with the experience that it left me. I finished mid-field, then I immediately showered and jumped in the car to drive 24 hours to Northern CA. Special thanks to the Talent Id Camp for placing me on this team, to Jan Koorn who helped to organize us and direct the race, to Jessica van Garderen for putting on the spectacular event, to my teammates for the week, to my team SC Velo/Empower Coaching for helping to get me to Aspen, and to Jacob my biggest fan and supporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment