Saturday, March 17, 2012

Blurry Memories of the San Dimas Road Race


We all knew to anticipate rain for the second stage of the San Dimas Stage Race Road Race. After an all out effort up Glendora Mountain Road the day before, we were up against rain, the strongest women in the PRO peloton and 8 laps that would test our fitness up the grueling Cannon Ave. climb.


It was time for staging and the only real consolation for racing in the rain was that we weren’t the only team getting ready to suffer this much in the next few hours. We had not yet started and we were already cold and wet. I wished at that moment I could put on all my cold weather Champion Systems apparel … Then again I also wished I was sitting next to a fireplace with a hot chocolate in my hand…BUT back to reality. It was time to GO! They said go and it was a race to the start line, but they must have decided to skip the traditional line up given the weather and we raced right past the Start/Finish. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one wishing I’d gotten a better warm up. Between riding around and standing around waiting for the start, my legs were not ready for the start. Pain shot through my legs as we all went as hard as we could to stay with the group.

I didn’t dare look back in those first few kilometers. RAIN in my face, grime in my teeth, legs throbbing with PAIN! …Ahhh racing :D The race started to string out the first time through the the rolling hills of Binelli Park and by the time we hit Cannon for the first time, those who would be dropped at the hill were. I, along with some others that fell behind on the climb, were trailing and trying hard to catch on to a group of some kind. I was with one other rider and we were working hard to catch on to a group ahead.  I only hoped my teammates were with the lead group as we kept on charging. A lap later, going through the park, a group of about 6 caught up to us and I was so glad to see familiar jerseys, Holly, Jenny and Ruth. I was no longer alone. We all worked hard along with riders from Helen’s, Tibco, and Cysergy and Rouse to try and avoid being time cut. We couldn’t slow down or we wouldn’t be allowed to race the next day (Stage 3: Criterium …my FAVORITE!).

Our energy levels started to drop, with every lap getting  harder and harder. The weather kept beating down with rain and wind . I knew I had to chow down on some GU Chomps and Gels even if I couldn’t feel my fingers. We got ourselves up Cannon time after time (every time having to wipe the fog off my glasses) and then something great happened. We went through the Start/Finish and there it was: the “1” lap to go card was up. We did one final lap and went through the finish line pooped. Amber finished in the main pack and our little Lisa though she was lapped and stopped too soon. Now it was time to go home and rest for the next day. SDSR definitely made us all “just a little” stronger.    

-Beatriz Rodriguez

No comments:

Post a Comment