Saturday, March 24, 2012

Redlands Bicycle Classic Stage 2 - Criterium - By Jenny Rios

Redlands Bicycle Classic
Criterium, March 24, 20012

The course had 6 corners and one that looks like a u-turn(hard), the average was 26.4 mph, we race for 50 minutes, it was a big group, we are 66 riders consisting of 11 teams like; team Now and Novartis for MS, Optum Pro Cycling, Exergy TWENTY12, Specialized Lululemon, Primal/Mapmyride, Cynergy Cycles, Tibco, FCS/Rouse, Vanderkitten and Metromint Cycling and us, SC Velo/Empower Coaching.

It was a sunny day so Lisa, Amber, Joy and I started doing our warm up for the race and during the warm up the team staff (Fernando,Lea,bonnie,bea,Pc,holly and jacob)did a great job to help us prepare our awesome GU Brew Electrolyte Drinks. After the warm up we had the team meeting and our strategy was to stay at the front and try to help me at the end.

Most of the time the group was single file. There were a lot of attacks, since all the teams wanted to initiate a break. I worked hard most of the time to stay at the front and avoid crashes and gaps. During the race we fought for primes every 5 to 7 laps, I got a good position when it was a prime lap. Some girl from Specialized Lululemon attack and  I just followed her wheel, and I looked back I noticed that we had a gap. In the break was Specialized lululemond girl,Optum girl(mountain leaders jersey) we started to work together until the last turn the specialized girl attacked to go for the prime. I reacted and I fought to get the prime with her no matter if I lose or win, in the final 2 meters  I  passed the specialized girl with my fast Cannondale super six  and won it the prime. I felt so proud of my team about getting a good position for the sprint and all the people recognized our awesome team SC Velo/Empower Coaching kits  made by champion system. After the sprint  I just waited for the group and tried to reach a good position once  again in the last 8 laps. I started to fight positions with the rest of the teams, and at 2 laps to go I was in the middle of the group .Once again I started to move positions at the corners since my Cannondale was reacting great at the corners and I felt great confidence on my bike. Finally we were at the 6 corner out of 7  and a crash happened!!!! i was taking the corner when suddenly i saw a girl from primal in the middle of the street ,i managed to get around the crash and I had to  accelerate my Cannondale to top speed to take the final corner and I was able to pass 3 riders at the final meters wish I took 6th on day 3.

After the sprint I went right away with my teammates to say thanks for their support . Amber did a great job on holding her GC position, Lisa worked very hard to stay in the group and at the end everything paid off which was to start the final stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment